Since 1986, through its fund-raising and through the personal efforts of its members, SEMA has contributed approximately $200,000 to the ST Edward’s Parish facilities and activities, including the following:
- Church hall ceilings, floor and painting
- Finish lower basement for classrooms
- Retaining wall on South side of the Church
- The Grotto project
- Parking lot – various projects, including a retaining wall at East end of parking lot and landscaping
- New Church Pews
- Various other landscaping projects
- Various Rectory projects
- Men’s Association first Memorial Bursary
- Benevolent Fund
- Seminarian Fund
- Paid off Church mortgage
SEMA has also contributed more than $50,000 to supporting community activities and projects in the Diocese and in Lake Country, including the following:
- Oceola Fish and Game Club
- Seton House of Prayer
- Bridges to New Life Society
- Lake Country Museum
- Lake Country Heritage Society
- Oyama Community Hall Fund
- Lake Country Soccer Club
- Lake Country Big Band
- Walk Around Lake Country Society
- Lake Country Minor Hockey
- Lake Country Food Bank
- Men’s Association Community Bursaries
- Assistance to families in need
Clearly SEMA has been a “force for good”. Providing breakfasts for the Parish, and having a monthly dinner meeting have helped to give focus to the group’s activities in the past. But perhaps it is time for change.
At its foundation and several times over its history, SEMA members have confirmed an interest in remaining “secular” and NOT a part of an existing Men’s Association such as St Vincent de Paul or the Knights of Columbus.
Membership of SEMA has stayed fairly constant over the years at about 20 to 25, albeit somewhat static, and in recent years activities have been curtailed due to advancing age of the members and the fact that several members are away at various times of the year.
The SEMA Executive is anxious to enlarge the membership and is interested in any input from men of the Parish. Meetings are held monthly (except in July and August) on the 3rd Wednesday in the Church Hall, and are usually followed by a dinner and interesting presentation.
Contact: St. Edwards Parish Office 250-766-3146